Re: CULT: Spring bloom times are ahead of schedule

I don't have first hand knowledge.  I'm 5 1/2 driving hours from Fresno,
their bloom season is traditionally about 2 weeks ahead of my house.   I am
just a bit surprised that my Lilacs are out, and a few Cherries blooms are
starting.   We've had a warm spring, but now there's been some frosts coming
back.  Most years, my friends in town always seem to say they're going to
have things bloomed out before our show, and I always sit back knowing my
garden has never been ahead of the show.   We all live in this one valley
where the bloom is always 1 week apart from the north to the south, about 20
miles apart.  The south end of the valley always requests our show to be a
week earlier, so we rotate early/late every other year.  One year, I had
exactly 10 bloom stalks, all IB's, nothing else blooming, when normally I
could pack 100+ if I wanted to.
    I was out looking at some new Aril's I have... Jim Whitely gave me some
of his 2003 intros.  I've not been a fan of Arilbreds, they just don't do
well as I just treat them like TBs.   I do have one from another hybridizer
which has been growing well, but I was looking at it today, it has the most
leaf spot of anything in my garden, and I have very little leaf spot this
year (warm, dry spring).  So I think that Arilbred is going to be kicked out
of my garden this year... so sorry.   However, every one of the new
Arilbreds I have from Jim Whitely look SO great... they have bloom stalks on
them, now I'm getting excited.  They all look so healthy, all have the nice
deep blue-green folage, I'm impressed!    Maybe there's hope for me with
Aril's afterall!
Kitty

> Hi Kitty,
> Does that bode ill for the convention?  We have a winter storm warning
here
> tonight with a low predicted around freezing with snow increasing through
> tomorrow morning.  Then a low of 23 degrees tomorrow night.  We were just
starting
> to see buds on I. pumila.
Dorothy Willott