Re: Dolomitic limestone?

Jim - in this area, we have both limestone (or calcitic limestone) and
dolomitic limestone.   From what I found on the web, dolomitic limestone
has a Ca:Mg ratio in the range 1.5 to 1.7.  In other words, dolomitic
limestone is limestone in which there is more calcite (calcium
carbonate) than dolomite (calcium magnesium carbonate).

The process of 'dolomitization' is the replacement of Ca with Mg in
calcitic limestone.  So I guess you could have calcitic dolomite too <g>

The mineral dolomite is present in dolomitic limestone rock, dolomitic
marble, and as veins in other rock types.  Dolostone is another name for
rock that is primarily composed of the mineral dolomite.

I'm not a geologist, but 'dolomitic' seems to be a perfectly good
adjective - the phrase "dolomitic limestone" is widely used by USGS and
in the soil sciences.

<I'm starting to see the expression "Dolomitic Limestone"  in Iris
publications.  As most people know, Limestone and Dolomite are two
different rocks.  Dolomite is Dolomite, not Dolomitic Limestone.   Jim
Reilly las Cruces, New Mexico>

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8