Re: [iris-photos] Historic, IB (near germanica) photo links

On Apr 5, 2004, at 9:26 PM, David Ferguson wrote:

There has been a lot of discussion recently about I. x germanica and related plants. Here are some links to photos that can be seen on-line of plants that are of the I. x germanica type, or are very similar old IB cultivars. There are many more, but I have not found photos of all the ones I know of. Some of the others I am looking for photos of include: 'Golden Bow', 'Primavera', 'Seattle', 'Sivas', and 'Soledad'.
'Berkeley Gold'
This flower is identical in appearance to an IB that I grow, which is NOT 'Berkeley Gold'. Perhaps mine is 'Golden Bow'? The real 'Berkeley Gold' is not of the 44 chromosome IB type but rather a TB (should be tetraploid). I don't know if this photo is really of 'Berkeley Gold' or not.
http://www.worldiris.com/public_html/Comparisons/Cultivar_Pix/ Berkeley_Gold.html
It appears to me that a number of these HIPS on line photos are degrading. They were much more clear a few years ago, and now appear as if you are looking at them through water on a window. I'm curious if this is true for everyone looking at them. Even so, you can make out a fair amount of detail.

That is unlikely. The failure mode (if any) would not result in a uniform degradation, but rather with spots within the individual picture that would appear as square blocks called pixellation.

'Black Magic'
http://www.argyleacres.com/gallery/view_detail.asp?iris_id=62
'Cosette'
http://www.seve.nantes.fr/Notreactivite/Collections/iris/alpha.asp? lettre+C#
Go to "Iris" then to the alphabetical index. Lots of interesting photos here.
'Cretan' (collected in Crete, 1977)

http://www.worldiris.com/public_html/Quick_Fixes/Q_Cretan.html

'Crimson King'

http://www.worldiris.com/public_html/Quick_Fixes/Q_Crimson_King.html

http://www.argyleacres.com/gallery/view_detail.asp?iris_id=153

http://www.iriscitygardens.com/images/tallbearded/crimsonking.jpg

'Doxa'

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/iris/hpgal0914412423310.jpg

'Eleanor Roosevelt'

http://www.worldiris.com/public_html/Frame_pages/ Q_Eleanor_Roosevelt.html

http://www.argyleacres.com/gallery/view_detail.asp?iris_id=194

http://www.iriscitygardens.com/images/tallbearded/eleanorrooseveltjpg

'Elizabeth Huntington'

http://www.worldiris.com/public_html/Frame_pages/ Q_Elizabeth_Huntington.html

'Florentina'

http://www.worldiris.com/public_html/Frame_pages/Q_Florentinahtml

http://www.argyleacres.com/gallery/view_detail.asp?iris_id=224

http://www.iriscitygardens.com/images/tallbearded/iflorentina.jpg

'I. albicans'

http://www.worldiris.com/public_html/Quick_Fixes/Q_I_albicanshtml

http://www.iriscitygardens.com/images/tallbearded/ialbicans.jpg

I. x germanica

http://www.worldiris.com/public_html/Quick_Fixes/Q_I_germanica.html

http://www.argyleacres.com/gallery/view_detail.asp?iris_id=298

http://www.iriscitygardens.com/images/tallbearded/igermanica.jpg

I. x germanica Alba

http://www.iriscitygardens.com/images/tallbearded/IGermanicaAlbajpg

'Kharput'

http://www.worldiris.com/public_html/Quick_Fixes/Q_Kharput.html

'Kochii'

http://www.worldiris.com/public_html/Quick_Fixes/Q_Kochii.html

'Madonna' (a blue version of 'Albicans')

http://www.badbear.com/signa/display-photo.pl?Iris-albicans+4+3

'Sangreal'

http://www.esveld.nl/htmldiaen/i/irsang.htm

as Sangreal, but quite different