Re: Re: Spring Bloom ahead of schedule

Hi all,

I'm not sure what normal is here, since I've had SDB's flower any time from
mid January to mid April, depending on the season, but based on what seems
to be "normal", I'd say that here is central NM the early plants are mostly
quite late.  However, the TB's and other things that normally start in late
April are coming on strong and will probably catch up.  I'm starting to see
some buds on the first TB's.  It's early to tell, but we are probably going
to have a protracted season, with lots of things blooming all together at
the same time.

There are still some Daffodils, and the Flowering Quince and Forsythia are
still loaded with flowers.  These are usually plants of late February to
mid March, so they have run about a month late this year, along with lots
of other things.

I have SDB's, I. pumila, I. reichenbachii, and other dwarves blooming now,
just coming on strong, yet they often start in February.  'Lesser
Goldfinch' is in heavy bloom now, and the first flower came out I think
March 27, a day after Lowell Baumunk's first one up in Denver (he should be
a month behind me on most things).  The IB's are typically in full flower
now, and the first ones are just starting in now.  Winter got a late start,
but it was a cold one, with several single digit to subzero (depending on
location) nights, cooler than average days, and with January and February
particularly cold.  We got rain in late Feb. - early March, a couple of
weeks of warm weather in March, and then this cold wet system has us in its
grip now (might push 70F today though).  Tulips, Lilacs, and Crab Apples
are blooming now, with the Lilacs and Tulips just starting (again - late).
Most of the trees are just barely pushing leaves, when they are often in
full leaf now.  However, as things progress, the lateness becomes less and
less obvious, and if things warm up again, we might "catch up" on things
that typically flower in April and May.

It's interesting that there doesn't seem to be more than two or three weeks
difference this year from Denver to El Paso in a lot of plants' spring
progress, perhaps a month for some things; usually it is a bit over two
months.

What I have blooming is all at the Botanic Garden in Albuquerque this year,
or I'm looking at other people's yards.  My yard was trashed by hail last
weekend, and it'll be interesting to see what the result is.  Most of the
IB stalks broke off, and most of the SDB's that hadn't opened already now
have deformed pulverized buds; however, there may not have been much affect
on most of the later Iris.  Leaves are shredded, but the buds are still
mostly way down in the fans or barely even forming.

Of course things like Iris, early roses, fruit, locust flowers, etc. are
all gone for this year (well, not gone, just mashed into the dirt under all
the broken twigs).  The Pine trees lost all their half grown candles, and
so on.  It wiped out most of the little tiny flower buds on my cacti too
(they make more?).

And it was shaping up to be the best spring in many (still will be for
those the hail missed around here).

Dave