HYB: Seeds germinating

Hi all,
While snooping around the garden today I discovered my first germinant
for 2004.  The interesting thing was that this seed was planted fresh
(not even allowed to dry) out of the pod (an SDB bee pod) straight into
the garden in a little row.  So far only 2 out of 5 have sprung up but
the ground is dimpled in another spot.  Is this common for seeds started
in the ground to beat those sown in pots?  Pots aren't even showing
signs of anything but weeds either.

Comments?

Botanically,

Kelly D. Norris
Master Gardener/Freelance Writer
Bedford, Iowa USA
Zone 4b/5a
www.rainbowfarms.net
http://kellydn03.tripod.com
List owner rare-plants
Newsletter Editor, Iowa Bluebird Conservationists

The love of knowledge is a sort of madness.
C. S. Lewis, Out of the Silent Planet