Re: HYB: Seeds germinating

  I've no answer to this... but I find the thread interesting.   It seems
many people count their seeds and are tracking them...I've so much to do
just keeping beds maintained, that I've never had time to count seeds.
However, up until this year, I've been trying all the suggestions on how to
prepare seeds... like trying every diet in the world.   And since I didn't
'count', I've no way to know what worked best.   However, this last fall, I
just decided to 'throw' them into pots, and let them go naturally through
the winter.   And by golly, when they started to germinate... they're
overcrowding the pots!   So I've decided, it was the easiest thing to do, no
fuss no muss.  I've decided to apply my gopher and pest theory to making
iris crosses.
   My gopher/pest theory is this.    I kind of stopped worrying about a few
gophers, beetles and birds hauling off with half of my crops...so... I
double my crops, and after they take some, I still have half left or enough
for me.  Well, it almost works, as my fox terrier really gets credit for
keeping the gophers out, and usually there's enough apples, squash and roses
to go around.
   So I've decided to do my seedlings the same... I think it will be much
easier to "double" my pods... just make double the number of crosses (if
needed), and I'm just going to put those seeds in the ground(pots) before
Winter, and let Nature take it's course.
Kitty Loberg
Northern Calif.