From: "Mike Greenfield" <redear@infinet.com>
To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 7:25 AM
Subject: Re: [iris] CULT: Burning worries?

> Kelly I don't think you have killed any iris or perennial weeds and
grasses.
> I have helped a friend burn the last two years. The fire got hot enough to
> melt aluminum labels.
>
> I think it would be best to burn before growth has started. Burning when
you
> have new leaves could retard growth and bloom. Should kill a lot of borer
> eggs. It will make it easer to weed what is left.
>
> Mike Greenfield
> Zone 5b
> SW Ohio
> Region 6

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had a name of Merit borer control.wpd]
~                  CONTROLLING THE IRIS BORER.

Don and Ginny Spoon wrote an article about this product in
the AIS Bulletin.  I have it, but it is 6 pages long and way to
big for this newsletter.
So here is small bit of information.  If you want the whole
thing refer to the AIS Bulletin. (Sorry, I can t tell you which
one.)
The directions given to me was that you must spread this
material in the spring before we have three days of 70 degree
weather.  You spread it over the bed and let it soften into the
ground.
This is a granular material and you use 2 Tablespoons per 10
square feet.  I use a hand grass seed seeder and marked out 10
square feet (5' by 5') on my drive then sprinkled the granules on the area with the seeder, until I
got the setting about right.  I did not want to handle the granules.
I took me five minutes to do all of my Iris beds, and I have 600 Iris.  Last fall I found a whole
cone of Borer eggs in a leaf that had not hatched.  They were in the stem of an Iris I dug for sale.
I did have some damage from the borer as I was unable to obtain the product until after the three
days of 70 degree weather.  I put the granules on the Iris before the snow set in last fall as it has
a life of 6 months in the ground and I plan to repeat the process this spring.
The picture may not reproduce to well for the news so this is the info.  Bayer (MUST BE
BAYER) Advanced Lawn Grub Control.  (Active ingredient if Merit.) I bought it at Wal Mart.  I
saw it at the local hardware store for $10 a bag more than the Wal Mart price.