From: Mickey Corley
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 12:15 PM
To: INTERNET:iris@hort.net
Subject: Re: [iris] HYB: Seeds germinating

Message text written by INTERNET:iris@hort.net

Kitty & Kelly,

This is my first year to try to germinate iris seeds.  I have no luck with
seeds in the house.   I had 4 bee pods set on and to begin with I didn't
pick them until 3 months after they set on.  I had tied them in nylon hose
just to save them.  By the time I took them off the plant I could determine
who the mother was.  As seeds they were neglected and many of them did not
look mature..

Not particularly caring whether they came up or not, I planted them in the
ground in 3-lb coffee cans with the bottoms cut out.  I had gemination  in
one can about a month ago.  Now all have germination in it.  I did count
the seeds just out of curiosity.  One that I planted 33 seeds in is now
crowded with babys.  I'm sure I'll toss all of them after they bloom, but
I'm curious as to when they might bloom.  From the iris groups, I'm hearing
next year bloom.  Some of these babys are 3 inches tall now and I'm sure
they need transplanting, but I'll wait until we are assured a little
natural moisture.

I agree with Kitty, I'll have more than I need.

Mickey Corley (Mrs.)
Bethany OK - Center of Oklahoma USA
Zone 6/7