Seed germination and burning iris

I germinate seeds in styrofoam shipping boxes which I get from the lab at
work.  Of course I poke holes for drainage.  On Thanksgiving Day (not literally
but the week of) I plant the seeds which have been stored in paper bags in the
house.  I note the name of the cross and the number of seeds sowed.  They
usually start germinating mid January to February and by the end of March the ones
that are coming up that year are up.  I usually get about 50% germination.
About burning.  I would like any information I can get about it.  I have
thought of piling pine straw on the iris and setting it afire in late fall.  Is
that sort of thing what you are talking about?  I wrote AHS several years ago
about this practice as it was mentioned in an article but got no reply.
Thanks in advance
Barbara Null
Tyler, TX zone 7b/8a