CULT: Glaciatas and Luminatas

Some posts on iris-photos have re called a previous discussion of luminatas and glaciatas. At the time I meant ask, but never got to it. So here goes:

I was under the impression that the descriptive terms used by the AIS for irises e.g., Amoena, neglecta, self etc were "visuals". That is you can apply the term by just looking at the iris. If it looks like a what a luminata is supposed to look like, its a luminata, regardless of what genetic or constructive factors cause it to look like that. As the old saying goes, if it looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck, its a duck!

I am not sure I understand how you can say something is a particular type because of the lack of this or the presence of that IF those factors do not cause the iris to visually look like what the definition calls for.

John | "There be dragons here" | Annotation used by ancient cartographers | to indicate the edge of the known world.

http://www.AISGiftShop.com

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Director, American Iris Society