Re: CULT: Borer control-a new twist

>> > While out today picking up chemicals for the garden, I had a thought
>> > to ask if there was a liquid form of imidacloprid (active ingredient in
>> > Merit). Indeed there is-- a concentrate that can be sprayed directly on
>> > the plants. It is much faster acting than the granular form due to the
>> > application method. It is also supposed to be season-long

I use the granular form of Merit because of the climate/growth patterns
in my garden.  Up here in northern MN, it's possible to hit 70 degrees
quite early in the spring before the irises have had a chance to grow
much at all.  If it's true that borer eggs hatch at 70 degrees, we can
have borer larvae emerging before iris fans.  I've often wondered where
borer larvae go under such circumstances and assumed they head straight
for the rhizomes.  Obviously, a foliar spray won't protect my irises when
they have little or no foliage, so I use the granules instead.

Last year was the first year I used Merit granules, and I couldn't have
been happier with the results.  I applied 1 tsp per plant (or clump,
regardless of size) very early when fan growth was just an inch or two
out of the ground.  A Bayer rep had told me the effects would last all
season, so I wasn't concerned about applying it too early.  I just wanted
to make sure the plants had time to absorb the Merit through their root
systems before temps rose enough to hatch borers.

Although I did see some signs of borers in the leaves last spring
("water-streaked" leaves with chewed edges), I didn't find evidence of a
single borer having survived the trip down to the rz ... and I dug and
divided hundreds of clumps last summer.  What a joy to NOT find a single,
hollowed out rz!

I've got a bucketful of Merit in my garage waiting for a nice, rainy
forecast.  I'm a believer!

Laurie

laurief@paulbunyan.net
http://www.geocities.com/lfandjg/