From: "laurief" <laurief@paulbunyan.net>
To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2004 4:14 PM
Subject: Re: [iris] CULT: Borer control-a new twist

> I use the granular form of Merit because of the climate/growth patterns
> in my garden.  Up here in northern MN, it's possible to hit 70 degrees
> quite early in the spring before the irises have had a chance to grow
> much at all.  If it's true that borer eggs hatch at 70 degrees, we can
> have borer larvae emerging before iris fans.  I've often wondered where
> borer larvae go under such circumstances and assumed they head straight
> for the rhizomes.  Obviously, a foliar spray won't protect my irises when
> they have little or no foliage, so I use the granules instead.
>
> Last year was the first year I used Merit granules, and I couldn't have
> been happier with the results.  I applied 1 tsp per plant (or clump,
> regardless of size) very early when fan growth was just an inch or two
> out of the ground.  A Bayer rep had told me the effects would last all
> season, so I wasn't concerned about applying it too early.  I just wanted
> to make sure the plants had time to absorb the Merit through their root
> systems before temps rose enough to hatch borers.
>
> Although I did see some signs of borers in the leaves last spring
> ("water-streaked" leaves with chewed edges), I didn't find evidence of a
> single borer having survived the trip down to the rz ... and I dug and
> divided hundreds of clumps last summer.  What a joy to NOT find a single,
> hollowed out rz!
>
> I've got a bucketful of Merit in my garage waiting for a nice, rainy
> forecast.  I'm a believer!
>
> Laurie
>

> -----------------
> laurief@paulbunyan.net
> http://www.geocities.com/lfandjg/
> http://www.angelfire.com/mn3/shadowood/irisintro.html
> USDA zone 3b, AHS zone 4 - northern MN
> normal annual precipitation 26-27"
> slightly acid clay soil

~                  CONTROLLING THE IRIS BORER.

Don and Ginny Spoon wrote an article about this product in
the AIS Bulletin.  I have it, but it is 6 pages long and way to
big for this newsletter.
So here is small bit of information.  If you want the whole
thing refer to the AIS Bulletin. (Sorry, I can t tell you which
one.)
The directions given to me was that you must spread this
material in the spring before we have three days of 70 degree
weather.  You spread it over the bed and let it soften into the
ground.
This is a granular material and you use 2 Tablespoons per 10
square feet.  I use a hand grass seed seeder and marked out 10
square feet (5' by 5') on my drive then sprinkled the granules on the area with the seeder, until I
got the setting about right.  I did not want to handle the granules.
I took me five minutes to do all of my Iris beds, and I have 600 Iris.  Last fall I found a whole
cone of Borer eggs in a leaf that had not hatched.  They were in the stem of an Iris I dug for sale.
I did have some damage from the borer as I was unable to obtain the product until after the three
days of 70 degree weather.  I put the granules on the Iris before the snow set in last fall as it has
a life of 6 months in the ground and I plan to repeat the process this spring.
The picture may not reproduce to well for the news so this is the info.  Bayer (MUST BE
BAYER) Advanced Lawn Grub Control.  (Active ingredient if Merit.) I bought it at Wal Mart.  I
saw it at the local hardware store for $10 a bag more than the Wal Mart price.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had a name of Merit borer control.wpd]