Re: CULT: Botrytis

Laurie--Botrytis, when it does show up, showed a fuzzy dark grey coating
around the base and perhaps as much as an inch up the fans that  had looked
perfectly healthy at first,  I don't remember any that looked brownish, but
that may have been because of different conditions between Idaho and
Minnesota.

As the ground warmed, it became obvious the plant was dead, but sometimes
(when dug) part of the older part of the rhizome survived.  The rhizome had
built a "firewall" of sorts.  Any potential increase from that toe tended to
grow at an astonishing pace when planted in fresh soil.

I usually just got rid of a good shovel-full of the soil in immediate contact
with the rhizome.  The infected rhizome tended to have masses of the fungal
fruiting bodies which looked like shiney clusters of seeds.  Yours may look
different.

There is a discussion beginning on p. 339 in TWOI but the author's
descriptions include symptoms not visible from the surface during the fall and
winter.  My own memory may be faulty....

Some of the Wisconsin or Minnesota folks may be better responders than I on
how Botrytis looks in your area.

Neil Mogensen    z  7  western NC