RE: CULT: Borer control-a new twist

  • Subject: [iris] RE: CULT: Borer control-a new twist
  • From: "LARRY ROBINSON" <LARRY_739@msn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 09:43:47 -0500
  • Seal-send-time: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 09:43:47 -0500

I use the granular form of Merit because of the climate/growth patterns
in my garden.  Up here in northern MN, it's possible to hit 70 degrees
quite early in the spring before the irises have had a chance to grow
much at all.  If it's true that borer eggs hatch at 70 degrees, we can
have borer larvae emerging before iris fans.  I've often wondered where
borer larvae go under such circumstances and assumed they head straight
for the rhizomes.  Obviously, a foliar spray won't protect my irises when
they have little or no foliage, so I use the granules instead.

Thanks for the tip, Laurie.  I applied my Merit today in a light drizzle.