Re: CULT:speaking of leaf spot

Hello Christian,

I frankly don't understand leaf spot.  I didn't have any for a long time,
then a couple of years ago it invaded.  I'd seen it briefly show up before,
but it quickly disappeared.  That time it didn't.  It literally savaged the
foliage.  The poor grasshoppers didn't have nearly as good grazing as they
are accustomed to having.  Since then I've had problems.  I took some old
grandmother iris waaaay down in the pasture and planted them on the inside
slope of a gully between limestone rocks.  They have never suffered leaf
spot.  They essentially grow wild among the weeds, briars and brush.  They
looked fabulous this morning when I was traipsing half the acreage
collecting ticks while looking for hiding cows with new babies (5 last
night!).  They have bloom stalks and a slight bit of knawing on two fans
from something or the other, but otherwise the foliage is pristine.   It's
not immunity because the clumps that stayed here have leaf spot showing up.
I have thought sometimes that weeds, grass and leaf debris hinders leafspot.
It is worse in the weed free beds than in those neglected ones.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA