Re: Re: HYB: seed germination

Hi Linda,

I have had some success this year with my fridge germination experiment.
I wet buritoed my seeds Oct 2-2003, by Jan 12-2004 10 seeds had
germinated. By this time I decided to remove the seeds from the fridge
and allow them to sprout at room temperature.  This worked well and I
had about 100 more germinate in the last 3 months but this is too slow
for my tastes.  When I checked the seeds today I noticed that they seem
to have stopped germinating now.  This is actually a good sign because I
can't handle any more of these under growlux anyway.

The 50 germinated seeds I potted on Feb 27th are now between 6 and 8
inches high.  They are rapidly out growing the window planter and the
fans are all entangled in the Grolux bulbs.  From what I've seen from
the germination rates I get from my outdoor pots, this method puts me at
least 6 months ahead of schedule.  I couldn't be happier with the
results so far but I still can't get what consider to be a high
germination percentage.  I guess I'm hovering at about 20 to 30%.

My seedlings from 1999 and 2000 will finally  bloom for me this year,
it's been a rough ride trying to find something that works for this
climate.  So I'm finally going to see my HONKY TONK BLUES x BLACK OUT
cross and all of my first Space Age crosses from SKY HOOKS and
THORNBIRD.   Also primed to bloom will be my IMMORTALITY x CLOUDIA
seedlings, I'm looking for a SA pink rebloomer but I was told not to
hold my breath on this one since IMMORTALITY throws of mostly whites.

Snow is almost melted here now.
Lafontaine Quebec 4b