From: <Bzzscheile@aol.com>
To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2004 2:01 PM
Subject: [iris] Seed germination and burning iris

> I germinate seeds in styrofoam shipping boxes which I get from the lab at
> work.  Of course I poke holes for drainage.  On Thanksgiving Day (not
> but the week of) I plant the seeds which have been stored in paper bags in
> house.  I note the name of the cross and the number of seeds sowed.  They
> usually start germinating mid January to February and by the end of March
the ones
> that are coming up that year are up.  I usually get about 50% germination.
> About burning.  I would like any information I can get about it.  I have
> thought of piling pine straw on the iris and setting it afire in late
fall.  Is
> that sort of thing what you are talking about?  I wrote AHS several years
> about this practice as it was mentioned in an article but got no reply.
> Thanks in advance
> Barbara Null
> Tyler, TX zone 7b/8a
~                  CONTROLLING THE IRIS BORER.
Don and Ginny Spoon wrote an article about this product in
the AIS Bulletin.  I have it, but it is 6 pages long and way to
big for this newsletter.
So here is small bit of information.  If you want the whole
thing refer to the AIS Bulletin. (Sorry, I can t tell you which
The directions given to me was that you must spread this
material in the spring before we have three days of 70 degree
weather.  You spread it over the bed and let it soften into the
This is a granular material and you use 2 Tablespoons per 10
square feet.  I use a hand grass seed seeder and marked out 10
square feet (5' by 5') on my drive then sprinkled the granules on the area with the seeder, until I
got the setting about right.  I did not want to handle the granules.
I took me five minutes to do all of my Iris beds, and I have 600 Iris.  Last fall I found a whole
cone of Borer eggs in a leaf that had not hatched.  They were in the stem of an Iris I dug for sale.
I did have some damage from the borer as I was unable to obtain the product until after the three
days of 70 degree weather.  I put the granules on the Iris before the snow set in last fall as it has
a life of 6 months in the ground and I plan to repeat the process this spring.
The picture may not reproduce to well for the news so this is the info.  Bayer (MUST BE
BAYER) Advanced Lawn Grub Control.  (Active ingredient if Merit.) I bought it at Wal Mart.  I
saw it at the local hardware store for $10 a bag more than the Wal Mart price.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had a name of Merit borer control.wpd]