CULT:speaking of leaf spot

Hello and Happy Easter all.

Donald, I raise other flowers besides iris and my lily leaves would get leaf spot. I was told that the spotting was caused by rain or sprinklers splashing the soil up on the leaves. The soil was believed to harbor some virus that would infect the plants in it. Another theory was that the soil had an over abundance of fertilizer or sprays that would injure the plant when it landed on it. It was suggested that a ground cover be planted below the plants to keep this from happening. I tried it and the ajuga I planted seemed to deter the leaf spot but strangled the plants! Has anyone else heard anything like this? It was probably 20 years ago that I heard this.

Patti USDA Zone 5 in arid, alkaline central WA State