Re: AIS: April 04 Bulletin

Hi Bobby and all,

You are not alone.  I too wondered the same thing when I got my April issue
and was looking at all the pictures.  For instance, on page 33 are some
photos, and one of them I know does not look like its picture at all.

TRUE SPIRIT has cherry wine falls, and in the picture they look brown.

On page 34, the picture of Zee is so dark, you can barely see whether or not
it has opened, closed, or overlapping standards.  Cat's Hat coloring seems
surreal to me.

The black and white photos in mine also look dull and faded, especially the
Saint Basil's Cathedral on page 88.

The reds iris in the lower left hand corner on the back cover doesn't seem
real to me either.  It looks brown on my bulletin, and all the beards look
super duper red.

The reason for this is probably the color matching done by the printer.
Unfortunately that happens at times, and why it wasn't caught before
publication is unknown.  The same thing used to happen in the Tall Talk
magazine a few years ago.

I just figured this was a fluke and will probably not happen again, and I
figured I cannot trust any of the irises that I order from these ads will have
the same exact coloring when they bloom, but something very similar.  That is
usually the case anyway since irises that bloom in Phoenix do not have the
same intense coloring as the irises grown up north, due probably to the lack
of micronutrients in our soil and our intense sun, which fades them.

The bulletin was great and I really enjoyed it regardless.

Patrick Orr
Phoenix, AZ
US Zone 9