Re: Frost last night

Me too.  On top of the hail last weekend, it got down to 25 F last night.
Most things can handle it (what's left of them), but it sort of made the
remaining buds and flowers on the earlier Irises transparent (in addition
to shot-marked and deformed from hail).  It was below 30 F from 10:00 PM to
7:30 AM at the house, and below 26 F for 8 hours.  They're all melting
nicely this morning.

Hadn't had a frost since February this year - oh well.

At the Bot. Garden in Albuquerque (no hail) it was the same temperature for
a low last night, but must have lasted much less time, as there seems to be
no damage, even on Wisteria and Ailianthus (which both freeze damage
easily).  The Iris flowers look fine.  The first TB to bloom is a yellow OF
that actually opened a flower on March 25, but is opening most flowers now.
I'm going to try to get a photo - don't know what it is.  Amas will
probably open next week.  The I. germanica types are taller than usual this
year, and they are blooming well now.  At the garden 'Florentina' actually
opened before 'Albicans', but it was in a warmer spot.  I will have flowers
of 'Albicans', 'Florentina', and I. germanica 'Alba' all open tomorrow, and
I'll try to get some good photos of all.  The I. reichenbachii is going
berserk this year, and on three clumps there are over 30 flowers open
today, and there may be over 60 at one time in a couple of days.  I.
barthii (or what I got as that) is blooming today too.  It is a tiny yellow
thing with blue beards, really cute.  I need to look up the name, as what
it is and where it is from has fled my memory.  The I. aphylla are putting
up good stalks, but so far no petals showing, just purple spathes.

My I. attica from Greece are in the greenhouse at the Bot. Garden, and my
garden crew wasn't watering them, so I'm not sure if they will bloom or
not.  They should be blooming by now, but they are sitting there crying
"water - water".  I did water them last week, and today, so hopefully the
buds will still push.

So, my yard is a bust, at least for the early season, but I get to enjoy
through the Botanic Garden (glad I starting pushing for Iris there a couple
years ago).

near Belen, NM