RE: Cult-Botrytis

Resending as didn't show up on list.

I see botrytis in the spring, usually after the plant has fully died. A complete rhizome covered in grayish or brownish fuzz and rhizome is solid but coarky in texture. 95% of plant with it are new plants that are large and juicy  and from  Oregon. Its very rare to see it on anything else but it does happen. I've never removed more then the dead plant and never seen any residual effects on   anything planted in the soil subsequently.  It seems to have more to do with the rhizome then the soil its grown in.
My solution is to soak the plants for about 10-15 minutes in a solution of benelate , about as much as I can get to disolve in the water I'm using. This chemical is not recomended for Iris by the manufacturer. Much more then 15 minutes will damage the roots and result in very weak growth for the next two years. I don't rinse the rhizomes, just plant directly from the soak.
Works exremly well, but some botrytis will still occur.

I do find some plants in dying stage in spring but I never had any sucess treating the damaged rhizome. If it hasn't progressed too far you can cut off any uneffected daughter rhizomes. They have a good chance to survive but you have to catch them early in the progression of the disease.

--

--

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.