RE: Luminata definition

As the "Luminata" pattern first showed up people noted similar patterns in various iris. Gradually a distinction was made between Luminata pattern and "Fancy Plicata" which was very similar in appearance but had some distinct differences. Now the Fancy plicatas are called Luminata-plicata. Personally I prefer the original term.
Following the identification by appearance came the problem of defining them. A committee was formed that struggled with this for awhile before coming up with the written definition. Details of this should be on the HIPS site ( Historic Iris Preservation Society)

The definition of Luminata referes to the absence of pigment in beard and in centre of flower as this clearly distinguishes it from the Luminata-plicata which is very similar. Without looking at these areas  it is very easy to confuse Luminata-plicata with Luminata patterns as they appear very similar in a number of cases, but this absence of anthocyanin on beard and surrounding area clearly makes the distinction. It is easy to not notice this difference so is vital to defining the pattern.

Some additional facts from my own experience.
The luminata pattern is slightly different with SDB.  My ringed plicata series suggests some need to further refine the definition.
The original definitions were based on Phenotype, not genotype. That is, on appearance, not on genetic composition.  I personally would prefer to have the definitions follow from genotype. That is , look at  the plants with the same genetic composition and generate the definition from there.
I have been and will continue to work on matching plicata Genotypes with phenotypes. There are 16 genotypes of plicata based on three alleles. That is, regular plicata, luminata and glaciata alleles.
At this point I have determined (to my own satisfaction) that the genotype of Luminata pattern is three glaciata genes and one luminata gene. Luminata X luminata produces luminata and glaciata offspring. So does glaciata X luminata. Glaciata x luminata seems to produce half luminata and half glaciata offspring. Further crosses are needed to pin this down conclusively but no other genetic combination will give this type of result.
The homozygous luminata plicata  (four luminata genes) seems to be the zonal patern which has been known to be related to plicatas since the 60's. There is an article by Bob Schreiner from this time period that talks of this.

Two matches for genotype/phenotype. 14 more to go.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.