Re: RE: Cult-Botrytis

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 22:21:30 -0400 irischapman@netscape.net (Chuck
Chapman) writes:
> Resending as didn't show up on list.
>
> I see botrytis in the spring, usually after the plant has fully
> died. A complete rhizome covered in grayish or brownish fuzz and
> rhizome is solid but coarky in texture. 95% of plant with it are new
> plants that are large and juicy  and from  Oregon. Its very rare to
> see it on anything else but it does happen.

Chuck,
I really enjoy your posts and knowledge. I would like to ask about a
conclusion you may have reached about the size and water content of
Oregon iris. Do you really think it is the water content that is
significant? Wouldn't you think that it may be the adaptability, vigor
and resistance of the cultivar itself rather than the area of origin.
Naturally then, wouldn't a rhizome bred and grown and adapted for
generations in the West have a different tolerance of soil and water PH,
micronutrients etc etc than those in the Eastern part of the country?  I
have had iris from the East that have done very well and then others that
have struggled too so I wonder. I had tentatively decided that it had
more to do with the suitability of the particular line of breeding than
the size of the rhizome. Some just adapt and are stronger growers than
others and it is especially apparent when the location of growth is so
different from the location of transplanting. Thoughts?

Have you ordered iris from California and how did they do compared with
the Oregon iris?  I've found that if I order from a reputable nursery
with a good guarantee, some may fail to thrive or die but they will be
replaced. This botrytis thing is really a personal fascination for
me...but then.I also wish they could find a cure for the common cold!
Hopefully hybridizers will keep working on the resistance and vigor of
new intros for the garden.

Interesting post. Thanks for taking the time to share with the list. I
like to hear your thoughts.

Regards,
Char Randall
Melba, Idaho USDA zone 6