Re: Re: CULT: leaf spot

    Dorothy, I believe you have the answer:  it's not the weeds and grass as
such but anything that keeps the soil (where the disease is harbored) from
splashing up on the iris leaves.
    I did discover a way to deal with the leaf spot problem, at least
partially.  A few years ago a contributor to this list noted that he had a
problem with lots of moss growing in his iris beds, including out in full sun.
Since I had the same problem, for which ag. extension could suggest no
solution, I tried the solution given by our friend:  spray the beds with a
solution of anti-bacterial dish detergent (5 oz.) and water (3 gal.)  Not only
did it take care of the moss, BUT I noticed an unexpected fringe benefit:
little if any bacterial leaf spot or soft rot in the areas where I sprayed.
Of course, this would do nothing for fungal leaf spot, but it certainly made a
big difference for bacterial leaf spot.   Bill Shear, who was on the iris-talk
list then, issued some cautionary advice about potential long-term side
effects, but I had such a bad moss problem that I used the antibacterial
detergent spray anyway and have not been sorry.

Arnold & Carol Koekkoek
38 7th Street, NE
Sioux Center, IA 51250
e-mail  koekkoek@mtcnet.net