Re: CULT: Botrytis

Same here - at least they have dirt on top of the rhizomes when they are
planted.  Once they are established, I let them find their own level of
choice.  Some cultivars don't do well with this treatment, but those
seem to be the ones prone to rot here anyway.  Good to hear other
growers are doing this.

Like you, I've had problems sometimes with some of the west coast
imports and can't figure it out either.  Drying does seem to help,
sometimes, but not always.  My new technique is to plant west coast
imports <very> late in the season, then keep them covered with plant bed
covers through most of the winter.  So far (two years), this has cut my
first year losses to zero.  Plants from Schreiners and Suttons arrived
last fall looking like they'd been drying for about 2 months (or more!)
before they arrived, which may have helped (?) - they all look great
now.  I've had the worst problems with irises from Suttons, but that may
be partly because I have been trialing quite a bit of old stuff from
unfamiliar breeding lines, looking for the tough ancestral rebloomers.
Including several that are too early for my growing conditions.

And new rhizomes from the west coast (I think only Shreiners) are the
only ones I've ever seen with anything that looks like Botrytis here.
It rarely has much, if any effect - whatever conditions favor Botrytis
must not be present here. Tends to turn black and dry up.

Chuck said:
<I have been planting rhizomes deeper then recomended over the past
several years and found good results. Better winter survival, less
winter heaving and no adverse effects on blooming or reproduction. I
have been planting with about 1/2" of soil over rhizomes. Starting to go
even deeper as it works so well. I do have well drained soil so this may
be a factor. Increasingly I have found other well known growers have
also been breaking the shallow planting rule (even in California and
Oregon) and found the same benifical results.>

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8