RE: Cult moisture content in iris

We who live on the arid side of the Cascade Mts. in WA state where the soil is alkaline dry the fat, moisture laden iris thoroughly before planting them and they usually do well but if we don't we lose a great number of them. Some of the commercial growers feed heavily and water heavily. That may be part of the problem because when we plant them and have deeply frozen ground before we get snow they may still be trying to grow and ice crystals form in the rhizomes and damage them. If the iris had been purchased and planted in the coastal area they would have a better chance to grow a bit more and settle into their new digs.

Arid, alkaline USDA zone 5

Char wrote:

I have heard time and again in this area, I can't keep Cooley's, they die on