Iris vigor, disease resistance etc.

Good morning iris friends - I have long pondered the problem of iris dying
and getting leaf spot and God knows what else.  I have tried many, many methods
and still have a higher mortality rate than I would like.  Then I look at
irises like Wm. Setchel, Indian Chief, Trudy, Victoria Falls and see them growing
and blooming their heads off on top of the ground, buried in pine straw, under
trees, in full sun, in heavy clay, splashed upon and not splashed upon, year
after year after year, which leads me to believe that there is more going on
here than culture and method.  For this reason, I have been attempting for the
past 8-10 years to hybridize hardy iris for my area plus becoming more
ruthless about pulling up iris that bloom sporadically or whose bloom is not entirely
pleasing to me.  I am getting too old and have too little space to let the
slackards continue in my garden.
Barbara Null
Tyler, TX