Re: HYB: lets talk about green

> Does anyone know of a 'green' iris which has substantial
substance to prove
> my theory wrong?

I have some seedlings that have definite green and good
substance.  The catch on mine is that they would be
arilbreds genetically.  One recent, really ugly one has
substance about like cardboard, but the green is quite
strong.  It looks like a deformed TB with a signal
pattern.  The other has higher aril content and is a
different shade of green.  It has a waxy appearance and I
have a photo of a 4 day bloom that was essentially
unchanged for the duration.  In my wind, that's really
good. Another seedling (TB lookalike) from MORE REFRESHING
has normal substance, but is a really dull shade of olive
green, but most definitely has green.  None are pretty
shades of green.  The arilbred is the most attractive

> Is anybody out there working toward green iris and what
approach are they
> taking?

I might use the ones that have appeared, but I'd never
turn one loose on the market unless the green got a good
bit more attractive than those I'm seeing.  I really think
a nice green would work well as an auxiliary color in
conjunction with another color in a bloom.  Pink and White
come to mind.  I'm not sure a green self would work as

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

This message was provided by TXOL Internet.