Re: HYB: lets talk about green

>I really think
>a nice green would work well as an auxiliary color in
>conjunction with another color in a bloom.  Pink and White
>come to mind.  I'm not sure a green self would work as
>well.

Donald, you've touched on a point that has been bewildering me in this
apparent fascination with the pursuit of green by some hybridizers. Why,
I ask myself, would anyone want a green flower?  Isn't the point and
purpose of a flower to contrast with and stand apart from the green of
the foliage?  I want my flowers to POP out of the foliage visually and
beckon to me from across the yard, not blend into oblivion amid
like-colored foliage.  But your idea of establishing a nice green (not
one of those "wishful thinking" yellows) as an auxiliary color in a
multi-colored bloom might be worthwhile.

If all I want is various shades of green, I'll grow hostas.  ;-)

Laurie

laurief@paulbunyan.net
http://www.geocities.com/lfandjg/
USDA zone 3b, AHS zone 4 - northern MN