Re: RE: Cult- Definition of Glaciata

On Apr 13, 2004, at 8:58 AM, Chuck Chapman wrote:

Most colour type definition are based on visual appearance only. Glaciata definition is based on visual plus genetic basis. Actually primarily on genetic information.

Then it is not a useful definition to the general iris community. If we cannot look at an iris and decide what kind of color pattern it is, then we need a new definition of terms.

The glaciata is the complete absence of anthocyanin from the flower. This is not just the absence of antocyanin but the absence controlled by the prescence of four glaciata alleles of Plicata genes. There can be various appearances and all forms of carotene and lycopene patterns. This can be white, yellow or pink self, yellow or pink halo, , yellow or pink amoena, yellow or pink Joyce Terry pattern, reverse yellow or pink amoena or something strange such as yellow (or pink) halo on standards and white falls. That is any pattern involving lycopene and/or yellow but no anthocyanin and four gaciata alleles of Plicata genes.

--

__________________________________________________________________ Introducing the New Netscape Internet Service. Only $9.95 a month -- Sign up today at http://isp.netscape.com/register

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)