CULT: Bloomstalks showing

After that devastating freeze not so long ago we've had consistently decent
temps, although below normal.  Now we're having what feels like a "heat
wave"--but actually it's a "normal wave."  I don't know what else it could be
called.  We're looking at temps in the seventies to high seventies over the
next several days.

I see bloomstalks up and out of the foliage on such as Impulsive and a few
others.  The cv's that normally are the first to bloom here have buds way down
inside the fans from the "pregnant" look and feel.  There's actually an
apparently undamaged stalk coming on Lavender Park--the first in the three or
four years it has been here.

Yesterday Serenity Prayer opened its first bloom on the two stalks that
escaped the freeze.  Other SDB's mostly lost their bloom to that hard freeze.
Occasional buds are showing on fairly large clumps.  Even super-hardy Lady
Emma is managing two stalks out of a potential twenty or more.

Very few of my seedlings from pollenizations three years ago show any sign of
blooming.  I was counting on being able to cull out those areas--and now don't
know whether to assume the unbloomed will ever bloom here, having failed to do
so two years running, toss and go on--or give them one more chance.  I might
get a stalk or two from the crosses two years ago--maybe.  I may get surprised
yet with late stalks forming.  Sure not counting on it though.

I discovered that mice had gotten in under my JI's and eaten most of them.
Apparently Siberians don't taste so good.  Those were left alone.

Neil Mogensen   z  somewhere between 7 and Iris-Purgatory if not -Hell  in
western NC