Re: Re: CULT: weather woes

Thanks.  We will get up to the 70 and 80's in May, but hopefully without
the lows in the teens (although that's always possible, too).  All my
freeze dried foliage looks like it recovered as well.

Sandra
SE Manitoba

Linda Mann wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much about a freeze after 'warm' temperatures in
the 50s F.  That's not what we mean by warm in the region of worst
damage.

That comes in the middle of winter or early spring after a week or more
of highs in the 70s and 80s and nighttime lows in the upper 40s or 50s
followed by a drop to the low 20s or teens.

You may see some damage to those cultivars/plants (depending on micro
conditions) that were most rapid to respond to warming temperatures, but
most may be ok.

Plus my gravel soil warms up faster than a heavier soil (clay), &
rhizomes in normal garden soil, especially if they have some dirt on
their backs, should stay quite a bit cooler.

Donald - I had heavy frost yesterday morning (air temp at the
thermometer above freezing) with no apparent damage to anything - SDB
seedling looked happy with fully open blooms by afternoon.

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8