CULT: Re: ORMOHR, etc. from Iris-Photos

The following is an "Iris-talk" transplant of a thread begun on

If you had several seeds from your "Ormohr," it definitely is not the
original, despite the description in the CL as a "B1M".  Kleinsorge should
have used "B7M" and may have.  It is not impossible the seven got switched to
a one in the transition from his hand to the printed record.  Ormohr was just
about the same color tone as its mama WILLIAM MOHR.

None of the offspring of WILLIAM MOHR, to my knowledge,  had much if any
fertility other than the amphidiploid CAPITOLA.  Even Elmohr, which inspired
more to try, I think, especially with its Dykes Medal, would give one or two
seeds at the most with rare, rare exceptions.  With low germination
percentages I suspect some of those "seeds" lacked embryos.

LADY MOHR is a very different issue, incidentally, as it is from a lateral
line and has a more complex parentage, at least according to the Salbach's
registration published in the '49 CL showing the pod parent of LM as an
astonishing seedling from WILLIAM MOHR pollen on a TB seedling, probably
yellow in color.

This  has got to be a reversal of parentage--unless by some miracle Salbach
had a double-chromosome pollen grain.  Such things can and have
happened--witness SNOW FLURRY from the pollen of a diploid--so it isn't
absolutely impossible--just extremely unlikely.  More likely is that the
registrant used the animal custom of listing the pollen parent first.  I have
seen a number of early pedigrees that suggest the convention of (pod X pollen)
now used was not universal in irises in these early years, with a number of
pedigrees looking much more likely turned around.

The only other possibility is that Salbach had a somatic mutation of the
diploid hybrid WM to a tetraploid version, quite probably a chimera which
disappeared.  That also is extremely unlikely.

Then that quarter-bred seedling, regardless how it was derived,  was crossed
with IB-MAC, an amphidiploid half onco.

I believe I saw a different pedigree used in some catalogs in the '50's, but I
have no idea where unless it might have been Tell Muhlestein's.  LADY MOHR has
shown both pollen and pod fertility and produced some very interesting and odd
offspring, with some of them having enough fertility that LM ends up buried in
the pedigrees of several modern TB's.  A thread some months ago dealt with
this matter.

As to the oak problem--there are rather thin soils in any raised elevations,
as the formation of the present Appalachins reflects the durability of the
rock layers.  We're up on a hip-side ridge off one of the "mountains"  with
solid rock even exposed in places.  Soils are rarely more than a shovel-full
depth except in streaks formed over less durable layers.

When I prepare a bed, I dig it out to thirty inches or more, then fill with
soil.  The oaks love it--and invade.  These are *Quercus alba* and *Q. rubra*,
mostly the former, incidentally.  Irises do not thrive in competition with the
*alba* unless the soils are much deeper.

In Idaho, with intense sunlight perhaps rather like your own I grew irises
right up to the trunk of Q. alba, in a site that didn't have bedrock within at
least 13,000 feet of the surface.  Tree roots normally went down, not out, as
the "B" horizon was about thirty feet thick where I lived.

The bed I hope to use for the AB's here has been dug out more than the thirty
inches, and back-filled with a mixture of compost, native clay loam, gypsum,
cow manure (three years ago) and whatever else I could find that wasn't rock.
I chopped through oak roots as much as four inches in diameter, but I'm sure
they have regrown into the prepared area since.  The plants I'm removing have
not thrived.  So I'm stripping out the bed to re-dig it.  This time I'll
incorporated a lot of oak-leaf compost and shredded tree-bark compost along
with lots of lime.

Neil Mogensen   z  7  mountains of western NC