Re: CULT: Re: ORMOHR, etc. from Iris-Photos

> If you had several seeds from your "Ormohr," it definitely is not the
> original, despite the description in the CL as a "B1M".  Kleinsorge should
> have used "B7M" and may have.  It is not impossible the seven got switched
> a one in the transition from his hand to the printed record.  Ormohr was
> about the same color tone as its mama WILLIAM MOHR.

I haven't any seeds from ORMOHR.  This is the first year the plant I
purchased as ORMOHR has bloomed.  O is listed as the pod parent of ROSEMOHR.
I have seedlings from R x ESTHER, THE QUEEN and two bloomed this year.  They
were not at all what I expected to see from the cross.

Good luck on your arilbred bed.  My native post oaks here are growing on
shallow soil (if you can call the gravel/clay stuff I have soil).  How deep
they roots may go between the crevices of the rocks I don't know.  Our post
oaks are funny.  They can't be transplanted.  They may live 3-4 years, but
eventually they will die after transplanting.  They have enormous character
from tree to tree.  No two grow exactly alike.  When they are gone,
mesquites usually replace them in a native situation.  I look at pastures
and land that has been dozed and where the post oaks are removed, mesquites
return as thick as grass all too often.  Observing native growth here will
let you see, still, many old post oaks.  But there are hardly any sapling
size oaks to see.  Not even where they are left undisturbed.  On my land
here, I have actually fenced some off from becoming scratching posts for the
cattle in order to allow them to outgrow the vulnerable stage.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA