Re: HYB:IB: Season Ticket/Fruit Cocktail

--- Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net> wrote:
> Has anybody tried to get seeds from either of these,
> either as pod or
> pollen parent?
> I know most IBs aren't particularly fertile, but
> someone here was
> keeping a list of all the IBs that had some
> fertility.

What are your breeding goals, Linda? Your comment has
gotten my curiosity up. Enough to stop lurking,
anyway. I used to do a lot of IB crosses, mainly to
put horns on SDBs. I had a very rough time of it. I
found fertility varied from year to year in the irises
including the IBs. On occasion I would get seeds but
often, very few would germinate.

If you are interested in breeding fertile medians I
would encourage you to try the tetraploid medians.
They are for the most part fertile and can be crossed
with TBs. The added advantage with using the
tetraploid medians is that they often pass on superb
aphylla type branching to their offspring. And bud
count is increased also, often 8 - 10 buds per stalk.
I have some seedlings with 15 buds.

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Photos: High-quality 4x6 digital prints for 25"