Re: CULT: HYB: Re:Re: ORMOHR, etc. from Iris-Photos

In a message dated 4/17/2004 4:44:05 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
neilm@charter.net writes:
> I suspect the seedlings at 1/16 oncocyclus ancestry--using the very faulty
> pro-rata approach to describing ancestry--are unlikely, I would think, to
> retain much if any at all of oncocyclus heritage as unpaired chromosomes
> also
> do not form cross-over exchanges between the genomes.

If we were discussing a random breeding population, I'd certainly agree --
but when an expert hybridizer is involved, the selection process changes the
situation significantly.

For example, we don't know whether SANDY MOHR is 1/8th, 1/16th, or 1/32nd by
the "pro-rata" or quantum system, just that the '76 committee did not accept
it as being 1/4 or more aril.  It looks like a 1/4-bred and reportedly breeds
like one.  We can't even guess how many seedlings Loomis had to evaluate when
he chose this one, but 20/20 hindsight says he made a good selection.

Sharon McAllister