Re: Repeaters in my garden

Patrick, this is very useful information.  Thank you!

Here, the irises that are able to send up bloomstalks from first year
increases have a much better chance of being seen, as frosts or marginal
winter conditions often result in kill of the primary fan that should have
bloomed.  The main problem with this characteristic is that the cv *also* has
to have plenty of increase, or it blooms out.

FOGBOUND and some of its family are perfectly balanced in this regard here.
Plenty of increase (if fed at all), and 'secondary' or repeat-type bloom from
increases closest to the primary often show up.

I was particularly interested that you mention AMETHYST WINTER.  I've noted
the vivid color of this one and intend to try to add it here.  It is close kin
to some of those in a similar color range among my seedlings and crosses in
the hoped-for stage....our bloom season is still in the early SDB stage.

I registered one of the (Swingtown X Romantic Evening) seedlings as POWER
WOMAN.  It also has this characteristic, giving it a long season of bloom.
Crosses both ways with Fogbound had some bloom last year, but hail slaughtered
the garden just as TB season began, breaking off many tender stalks.  So I'm
looking at two year, crowded seedlings that are now just beginning to show
color on the earliest ones.  The reselects didn't all grow well enough
(neglect and new soil not yet built up) to bloom again.  The irises didn't get
much sunlight last summer.  Heavy overcast and eight inches of rain per month
until August didn't make TB's very happy.

Neil Mogensen   z 7  western NC mountains.