HYB: Amethyst Winter

Neil and all:

Amethyst Winter seems to do really well here in its home region.  I am unsure
how it does elsewhere in the country. It is not without its faults, however,
and I am attempting to improve it.

This year so far, I have made 13 crosses involving AW with some reblooming
neglectas and other bitones. I don't expect anything to be distinctive looking
from these crosses, but I do expect improvements and even better rebloom for
sure!!!  Not only do I want repeat bloom, but fall rebloom as well, on the
same plant.  I think AW will be able to provide that when crossed with other
repeaters/fall rebloomers.

I am also sure if I grew AW better, its performance would amaze me.  Right
now, the two plants I have of it get neglected somewhat.  Even still, it out
performs many other varieties that are not neglected.

Good luck with your crosses this year,

Neil Morgensen wrote:
  I was particularly interested that you mention AMETHYST WINTER.  I've noted
the vivid color of this one and intend to try to add it here.  It is close kin
to some of those in a similar color range among my seedlings and crosses in
the hoped-for stage....our bloom season is still in the early SDB stage.