Historic TB fragrance

Hi all,

Looks like I'm getting past the affects of the hail/freeze events now, and
buds are mostly opening normally.  It's still a messed up spring, but
they'll be Iris flowers, even if most of the rest of the yard is trashed
for the spring (lilacs look really funny with flowers and no leaves!  The
leaves all turned black and dropped, but the flower buds healed and opened,
very late, but open).

Those things that I think might be 'Prospero' are blooming.  They have that
very distinctive rootbeer or bubblegum fragrance, and it's become a yearly
event to look forward to now.  I know we've discussed this odor before, and
there are supposed to be others that have this smell (as I recall 'Alcazar'
is one?).  I was wondering if we could compile a list and see if they have
any common ancestry?  Also, I'd love to get some more to make a sort of
rootbeer corner (funny, I don't even like rootbeer).

I planted several different I. pallida clones at the botanic garden in
Albuquerque, all in the same area, and that grape coolaid smell is
wonderful in the morning now that they are all opening.  It seems to me
that all I. pallida have it, but some much more strong than others.  Still
haven't figured out the name of that pink one that everyone around here
grows (and it seems in every other state south of 40 degrees latitude).
It's not the strongest in smell of the I. pallidas, but its a survivor.  It
is the same color as 'Pink Satin', but now I have that one blooming, and
that aren't it.  'Pink Satin is similar is size and form, but the haft
veining is less developed, and the petals are a bit more ruffled at the
margins, also (first year) my 'Pink Satin is a bit shorter (maybe averaging
24 inches as apposed to 30 inches for the unnamed one in the same bed).
Any ideas on the unnamed one?  They aren't the shell pink of things like
'One Desire' and many of the new ones, but they are distinctly pink looking
in the garden (only a hint of purplish tinge).

Dave