Re: HYB: breeding out haft marks

Thanks Neil.  Sounds like you've had some experience trying to get rid
of haft lines - how hard is it?  If I cross with another seedling with a
lot of haft marks, is there any chance I will get rid of/reduce them?

I agree with what you say about haft marks.  Way back before I knew any
better, when I would send in orders to places like Schreiners, in
addition to asking for really tough irises, I would also say how much I
love intricate blooms with complex colors and patterns, especially
interesting haft marks <g>

I have a few seedlings with haft marks that I especially like (including
the retro 'lines and spot', and the reblooming bicolor I sent to
convention), but on these particular seedlings I'd like to clean up, the
haftiness is just messy looking, plus it extends across the entire haft,
on one, down to nearly the end of the beard, on the other even past the
end of the beards.

I dislike really dark blooms with a lot of narrow white stripes at the
haft.  These are like that.  So I'd like to try to get something from
these with less haftiness.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8