Re: HYB: breeding out haft marks

Back in the days when it was especially important to get rid of haft marks--I
found they are stubbornly persistant.  There were some parents that were
themselves quite clean and bred clean hafted offspring--the example of
Suiter's 'Tomeco' is instructive.  Its pod parent, 'Owyhee,' had a Gibson red
plicata involved and it showed in haft markings that were not at all
unattractive.  The other parent was a seedling that had 'Technicolor' as
pollen parent.  'Technicolor' is noted in TWOI as the first of the reds that
was quite clean hafted.

Apparently 'Tomeco' inherited the hafts of 'Technicolor'--plus the width from
'Owyhee.'  It was a happy combination.

I have noted that 'Silverado' seedlings often seem to be quite clean.
'Concise,' Marilyn Harlow Maryott's 'Maid of Avalon' and 'Avalon Dreamer,'
both from 'Silverado' X 'Mother Earth' (rebloomer potential here!) are snappy,
clean and well-formed flowers, but I seem to be having trouble either getting
them acclimated to "Vale of Despair" conditions or to my soil.  So far, only
'Concise' has kicked into gear after a three year wait for it to do so.  Now
it is as happy and productive of bloom as I could want.

After all the positive comments about 'Brazenberry' a couple years ago I
thought it would be excellent breeding material for the color range.  When it
bloomed here last year, I saw a certain degree of "haftiness" I didn't expect.
But like I said earlier, this isn't seen as an issue now.  It sure used to be.
I'm reluctant to use it, as I got my formation of taste from Tell and from the
expectations in the fifties and sixties last century, and I don't seem able to
shake them easily.

I've sent for Tasco's 'First Wave,' as it looks snappy clean and has
extraordinary ruffling.  I thought it would be interesting to cross with some
things that are nearly pure Keith Kepple ancestry that have a lot of other
qualities I want to incorporate.  I see a big, strong-looking stalk coming on
'Paris Fashion' and am really looking forward to seeing it in person.  I loved
'Crystal Gazer' when it bloomed last year, but the rain prevented any crosses
with it taking.  It was quite smooth.  It's one that is growing well here, so
it might also for you.

I got 'Machismo' from Barry Blyth's Tempo Two this year, and I have had it as
a house plant until recently.  It is now out on the deck getting acquainted
with NC outdoor spring weather and so far seems happy and growing in its big
pot.  The photos of it look very interesting, and it appears to be quite clean
also.  I'm really looking forward to seeing it bloom.  It may take a couple
years to get it turned around from Australian conditions and winter/summer
cycles.  It came here in February right after an Australian summer.  Barry
says not to put them outside until our weather warms up.  Forecast for tonight
is 34 degrees.  I may have to move our other house plants--and
Machismo--inside for the night and tomorrow night.  We have frost warnings,
but minimal frost--not down into the low 20's, just low 30's.

Neil Mogensen  z   7   mountains of western NC