Re: Re: HYB: breeding out haft marks

I don't care for haft marks myself, although I think we may need to define two
categories.  One kind of haft mark appears in the shoulder area, and is
usually an array of lines of a sort of metallic bronze color.  Those, I
actually don't mind as much.  I really dislike the "spray pattern", usually
white, radiating from under the beard typically 1/4 to 1/2 of the way out on
the fall.  Sometimes this pattern is interesting if the spray pattern color is
bright yellow, pink, etc., instead of white.  In some ways, this differs
mostly by degree from luminata or "fancy" plicata veining where the veining
covers all or nearly all of the falls, and applied more evenly and with more

These two types of "haft marks are very different, but the more common "spray
pattern" is usually what people are referring too; although the shoulder lines
may be more of a true "haft mark".  Maybe the spray pattern should be referred
to as such to avoid confusion?

Many of the Romantic Evening line are hafty (in the spray pattern sense), as
are many of the new non-plicata freckled iris mostly derived from Fancy

Breeding plicatas with non-plicatas is one way to (usually) get a lot of hafty
(spray-patterned) dogs.  Leads me to suspect that maybe iris with that pattern
may have one or more plicata genes (not verified in any way as a rule, at
least by me).  Oddly, FILIBUSTER (luminata-plicata?) X GNU (broken color, I
think it was Maria Tormena (B. C.) x Eagle's Fight (plic)) gave me nothing but
blecch quality black cherry bitones with remarkably clean hafts (despite
clearly having at least a couple of plicata genes).

John Reeds