TB: Full Bloom for sure! + HYB musings

Well, 80% of my iris are blooming; we suddenly have 95-degree weather that is
forcing them out (and withering the flowers fast, and scorching half the darks
in their buds).  Any thing that isn't up yet may be slammed into early summer
dormancy by this heat.

Crystal Dreams is always too late; I do see one short stalk trying to rise out
of a 4" fan.  I keep hoping to find some strong, synergistically satisfactory
spouses (okay, stop with the alliteration) for it.  Honky Tonk Blues didn't
work very well, neither did Reincarnation.  Maybe Louisa's Song, Cloud Ballet,
or Crystal Gazer (not really that strong either).

Another problem with this #$%&*$#&* heat, it usually prevents my crosses from
taking.  I still smeared Louisa's Song pollen on Ransom Note and Thunder
Spirit (great this year) this morning; can't hurt to try.  I haven't been
peeking down inside the spathes lately; the only unmistakable take I've
noticed was Revere (actually a disappointment - floppy) X Louisa's Song.  I'll
try anything for LS in blue (Cloud Ballet, Sea Power, Jazz Me Blue, and Revere
so far this year.

John Reeds
lamegardener@msn.com
zone 9b southern California

Anyone going to Disneyland (or thereabouts) after the nationals is welcome to
drive another 30 miles south to say hi!