Re: HYB: haft marks

Mickey, I have no idea what the markings on the underside are called.  I don't
think I've ever heard them described before.

I have used the haftmarkings around the beard in variety identification--yes.
They seem to be more consistent than almost any other feature of an iris grown
under different conditions than any other I've noted.  Haft marks are very
useful (and attractive sometimes) as both Linda Mann and I have
commented--especially when we were beginners and didn't know that haft marks
were "bad."

Now we're discovering they aren't "bad" at all.  Some are just a whole lot
more attractive than others.  I remember being utterly fascinated by the haft
patterns when I first started looking closely at iris flowers as a child.
LENT A. WILLIAMSON and AMBASSADEUR grew at my parents' place in those days,
and later SHAH JEHAN.  All of those had beautiful and delightful patterns.

It was later that both she and I learned (wrongly, I think) to see those
patterns as "not-good" parts of iris color.

Neil Mogensen  z 7  in the chilly mountains this morning in western NC