Re: HYB: haft marks

You know what you learn as a child you sometimes remember differently as an
adult.  After it got daylight yesterday, I went out and checked for haft
markings on the bottom of the haft.  I didn't find any.  Only different
colorings. My message was not supposed to go out but it just slipped out of
my computer.

The markings must have been the same that has been being discussed in these
messages.  Thanks Neil for the response.    I do recall I was told this was
a fairly good way to tell the difference between similar iris.  They did
make an impression on me and I must still be a 'beginner' as I don't think
they are "bad".

 Mickey Corley
Bethany OK - Center of Oklahoma USA
Zone 6/7

Message text written by INTERNET:iris@hort.net
>Mickey, I have no idea what the markings on the underside are called.  I
think I've ever heard them described before.

I have used the haftmarkings around the beard in variety
They seem to be more consistent than almost any other feature of an iris
under different conditions than any other I've noted.  Haft marks are very
useful (and attractive sometimes) as both Linda Mann and I have
commented--especially when we were beginners and didn't know that haft
were "bad."

Now we're discovering they aren't "bad" at all.  Some are just a whole lot
more attractive than others.  I remember being utterly fascinated by the
patterns when I first started looking closely at iris flowers as a child.
LENT A. WILLIAMSON and AMBASSADEUR grew at my parents' place in those days,
and later SHAH JEHAN.  All of those had beautiful and delightful patterns.

It was later that both she and I learned (wrongly, I think) to see those
patterns as "not-good" parts of iris color.

Neil Mogensen  z 7  in the chilly mountains this morning in western NC