Re: Re: HYB: haft marks

Dave, I quite agree with your sentiments on haft marks--they are part of what
makes a bearded iris what it is.

I also don't usually care for the overly gaudy ones, but the veining on a
Swallowtail Butterfly is pretty vivid, and I suppose one could say "gaudy."
They are what makes the species what it is, and none of us would complain
about them, I'm sure.  They're beautiful.

Similarly with stained glass windows.  The lead join marks (they used to be
made of lead at least) are part ot what stained glass is.  I'd probably object
to them on a Kodachrome side, however.  I don't know why--both are color
transparencies, but very different in technology and style.  I happen to love
them both and I just don't expect them to look alike.

Some plicatas I find beautiful to an unusual degree.  'San Francisco' and 'Los
Angeles'  fascinated me, I think mainly because of the extreme contrast of the
deep plicata markings in the hafts and base of standards and with the dark
style arms.  'Dotted Swiss' had the dark heart colors too, and had the added
feature of the brownish tone infused in the hafts.  I liked that, and I liked
it on 'Missouri' also.

Keith Keppel's "black plicata" series have great density of color in the hafts
and heart because of the style arms, as do also 'Orinoco Flow,' and the
grandchildren of 'Blue Stacatto'--'Rare Treat' and another the name of which
escapes me for the moment.  I find them much more interesting than ordinary
plicatas because of the inner glow-- or perhaps should say "mystery" because
it is darness, not light that is intensely there.

I don't think there is a genetic connection between the anthocyanin part of
"haft marks" and plicata patterning.  There *is* a connection where they are
lacking, however, as that is the phenotypic "ID" of a glaciata--no anthycyanin
even in the universally present haft marks of other color conditions.  Since
luminatas lack them too, Chuck describes the genetic condition of glaciatas
and luminatas as tightly related genetically,--more than just being different
alleles of the plicata sequence, but the phenotype of the luminata is
determined partly by the glaciata allele.  We're dealing with something quite
different from haft marks -- at least as far as the anthocyanin portion of
them -- is concerned.  The yellow part still occurs.

Neil Mogensen  z 7 western NC mountains