Re: 2005 Convention: TBIS

"I think the Iris world should know that TBIS scheduled their presentation at
the St Louis convention the same time as the AIS tall-bearded forum."

Bob, I agree with you. An unfortunate set of events has taken place. As a new
director of TBIS, I hope I can pass on information that will help others to
understand.  Bob, what you say in your post is pretty much true.

"As a member of the convention committee I can tell you that we worked very
hard to create a schedule with few if any conflicts. We had a room reserved at
another time for their presentation even though they are not part of the
convention, they were invited by us to have their convention as an adjunct to
ours. Most people are members of both groups and would like to participate in
both. Their behavior is an affront to our hospitality. Despite many
discussions the TBIS insisted on being in conflict."

My apologies to all of you on Iris-Talk in advance as to the sensitive nature
of this email It is never easy to discuss these things.

I just want to clarify that it is NOT all of TBIS directors/officers who are
insisting on being in conflict. On March 4th, Ramona as TBIS president,
informed me that she had contacted some of the directors (but not me), and
made a decision to go around Riley's back and make arrangements to change the
meeting date.  In her correspondance, Ramona states "We (TBIS) did not promise
you (Riley/committee) anything. You promised AIS many things that were
detrimental to the TBIS organization to get Terry to even agree for us to be
invited to this convention but we did not promise Terry anything. You had no
authority from TBIS to promise Terry all of those things to even get him to
agree to it."

I personally know that about half of the TBIS directors and officers are not
in agreement with what has transpired recently. On March 6th, I received
correspondence from Riley to the full TBIS board, explaining how the meetings
had been scheduled to be very much like ALL of the other section meetings at
appropriate times.  Riley included the original invitation to TBIS a year ago
and a few simple requests for TBIS to follow, which was agreed to by the TBIS
Board at their Spring 2004 meeting.  The unfortunate thing, is that Ramona has
chosen to breach the agreement.  It is quite obvious to me, that she intended
the Thursday meeting time to be in direct conflict with the AIS tall bearded
program, which has 4 great speakers arranged.  This saddens me greatly, both
personally, and as a new TBIS director.

I wish to thank Riley Probst and the entire Convention Committee for all of
your efforts to schedule convention events such that they are not in conflict
with each other, and that everyone and every event was being treated fairly.
Personally, I am very sorry for what has transpired.  Having worked closely
with the preceding Fresno convention, as Convention 2004 Treasurer, I know
about the tremendous tasks and responsibilities to get all aspects of a
convention to work.  I do look forward to the St. Louis convention, as I
always look forward to seeing all the wonderful gardens.

Kitty Loberg
Region 14 Past RVP
2004 AIS Convention Treasurer
Region 14 Webmaster
TBIS Director

"In Portland next year the Siberian/Species convention immediately follows the
AIS convention. No other group it seems would purposely try to conflict and
compete with AIS. Most but would see the advantage of everyone winning by
cooperating. But despite our protestations TBIS has persisted, so now you must
choose between their program, with one hybridizer, and the AIS Tall-bearded
forum with four internationally known, award-winning hybridizers. It seems
rude to me that a group would have to go out of their way to be combative. But
the iris world should be aware that it was not St Louis that created this
problem. The truth always emerges. Robt. Pries"