TBIS-AIS schedule issue (re: Bob Pries)

I have written the officers and directors of TBIS expressing my deep concern
over the issue raised concerning the conflict in scheduling at St. Louis.
Even though I will be unable to attend this convention, I have a deep love for
irises, especially Tall Bearded irises which I first encountered with
amazement and delight some sixty years ago.

I am a member of both societies and have a profound desire to see concord and
cooperation at work between them to the highest possible degree.  I am
enclosing a copy of my letter to Ramona Howard, President of the TBIS:

Dear Ramona,

I am a member of TBIS and of the AIS and a contributor to both societies'
publications.  I deeply value my opportunities however limited in
participating in the life and work of both organizations.  Tall Bearded irises
are my area of primary interest and work and I value especially the formation
of the TBIS to encourage interest and work in this section of the genus.

I am most deeply grieved at tensions between the two societies and find it
most painful.  The conflict over the meeting time in St. Louis does not set
well.  I fear it appears both contrived and deliberatly confrontive to those
who are on the sidelines as observers.

I find such discord neither in service of our long term goals and interests in
promoting the love of and growing of tall bearded (and other) irises nor to
the good of persons involved in either, both or neither society.  I fact, I
fear such tension will drive people away, not attract and encourage them to
take part in the societies and to grow irises.

I implore you to do anything in your power to bring about a transformation of
this situation about conflicted meeting times and any other issues that divide
the two societies and resolve them, even if it means yielding to the wills of
others.

I painfully learned a long time ago that unity and concord far outweigh any
and [all] personal concerns.  The good of our members and the service of our
long term objectives is far more important than smaller and personal issues.

With due regard and deepest concern,
Neil A. Mogensen  western North Carolina