From: owner-iris@hort.net [mailto:owner-iris@hort.net] On Behalf Of Robt R
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2005 4:52 PM
To: iris@hort.net
Subject: Re: [iris] TBIS-AIS schedule issue (re: Bob Pries)

Neil; I apologize for to the group for voicing my frustration with 2-3
individuals attitude. We are one Iris Society represented but many
organizations that represent our varied Iris interests. When an officer of
one of these groups acts like they are THE Iris society with out
consideration of their members and all the rest of us it discourages me.
When we all work together a great deal is accomplished. There is always a
place for friendly competition to challenge us to do better. There is also a
place for cooperation that has been able to create a Society that is bigger
than the sum of its parts. Let everyone know that in my experience we
gardeners love to cooperate/collaborate and share which is maybe why when
the opposite occurs its rarity is so outside our culture. I believe I may
have said too much and I assure everyone that this grumpy old man will stick
to complaining about the deer, the borers, and weather.

Neil A Mogensen <neilm@charter.net> wrote:I have written the officers and
directors of TBIS expressing my deep concern
over the issue raised concerning the conflict in scheduling at St. Louis.
Even though I will be unable to attend this convention, I have a deep love
irises, especially Tall Bearded irises which I first encountered with
amazement and delight some sixty years ago.

I am a member of both societies and have a profound desire to see concord
cooperation at work between them to the highest possible degree. I am
enclosing a copy of my letter to Ramona Howard, President of the TBIS:

Dear Ramona,

I am a member of TBIS and of the AIS and a contributor to both societies'
publications. I deeply value my opportunities however limited in
participating in the life and work of both organizations. Tall Bearded
are my area of primary interest and work and I value especially the
of the TBIS to encourage interest and work in this section of the genus.

I am most deeply grieved at tensions between the two societies and find it
most painful. The conflict over the meeting time in St. Louis does not set
well. I fear it appears both contrived and deliberatly confrontive to those
who are on the sidelines as observers.

I find such discord neither in service of our long term goals and interests
promoting the love of and growing of tall bearded (and other) irises nor to
the good of persons involved in either, both or neither society. I fact, I
fear such tension will drive people away, not attract and encourage them to
take part in the societies and to grow irises.

I implore you to do anything in your power to bring about a transformation
this situation about conflicted meeting times and any other issues that
the two societies and resolve them, even if it means yielding to the wills

I painfully learned a long time ago that unity and concord far outweigh any
and [all] personal concerns. The good of our members and the service of our
long term objectives is far more important than smaller and personal issues.

With due regard and deepest concern,
Neil A. Mogensen western North Carolina