Re: TB: Edith Wolford or Jurassic Park (or something else)?

Matbeach1@aol.com wrote:

I have limited space for growing but would like to purchase an iris of the
color combination of Edith Wolford/Jurassic Park.Maybe it is an unfair question to ask, since climates and growing conditions vary; however, I would like to know if anyone out there would recommend one of these plants [?]

Mike,

I am sure growing conditions are quite different where I garden from those in coastal SC, but in my own experience and that of everyone else I am aware of in this area who has grown it, EDITH WOLFORD is a definite under-performer (slow increase, short stalks). I do not grow JURASSIC PARK, but its full sib, BOYSENBERRY BUTTERCUP (Lauer, 1997), is an outstanding performer here, as is EARTH SONG (Ev. Kegerise, 1993) in the same color class.

Curiously, all three of these cultivars (BB, JP, & ES) are close-up descendants of EDITH WOLFORD, but they out-perform her by a country mile.

Jeff Walters
in northern Utah
(USDA Zone 4)